Monday, January 07, 2008

Viva Las Vegas

Hi folks. I found the internet in the Las Vegas airport. Let me quickly get some sympathy.

So - starting two days ago. I woke up (12am Chicago time) walked to the train station (20 minutes) got on a train to Frankfurt (2 hours) got to the airport and figured that out (2 hours) flight from Frankfurt to Chicago (9 hours) bus ride from Chicago to around Milwaukee (2 hours) my Dad picked me up and a half hour later I was at home (7pm or so). Next day - woke up early because my body is still on germany time. Got ready to fly to Reno for a conference. Flight at 4pm. Flew to Las Vegas and my flight was cancel from there to Reno because of bad weather. So then I waited in line for hours and then had to wait while they figured out how to get me to Reno. Either way I was stuck in Vegas for a night.

Now, it isn't all bad to be stuck in Vegas on a Saturday night. Unfortunetely my body is still mostly on Germany time, so while it was only 9pm or so (Vegas time) when I got to my hotel room for the night, my body said that it was 6am and I hadn't slept yet. But my body can go to hell, I was in Vegas I had to do something.

So I walked around for a few hours and had a few drinks. I went to Hooters, MGM, Belagio, Caesars Palace, New York New York. All over the place. Nice gals around, I think I fell in love three or four times last night. I stayed out to about midnight (9am Eric's body time.)

Today I got up at about 9am, took a shower and went to the Bodies exhibit, the one where they took bodies and preserved them in plastic and have them all chopped up. It is really cool. Then I walked around a bit. It is nice out and the sun exists here. I ate lunch at the Harley Davidson Cafe on the strip. I was explaining to my Father how bad the German service is. Waiting 10 minutes for your beer, how they never ask if you want another one, it is rough. So I did an experiment. I was watching the clock, just seeing how long things took.

I was seated and she gave me a menu, I looked at it for a bit, then she swung by and ask what I wanted to drink. I got a Hefeweisen (it is hard to order here because I was pronouncing the name correctly.) She went to the bar, got my beer and came back. By then I had figured out what I wanted to eat, a pulled pork barbeque sandwich. The order went in and I looked at my watch. Now, Vegas isn't a fair comparison, but literally I had my food in 2 minutes. No kidding, It was just pulled pork and fries, so nothing that need much preparation, but still. So then, I drank my beer and finished it while I was eating. Sat it down, a few seconds later waitress came by, asked if I wanted another, I said yes, she walked to the bar, got my beer and I had a new one. Now that is service - God bless America.

I am about to get on a plane to go to Orange County, then to Reno. I will be there at about 10:50pm. Then I have to figure out where the hell my bag went. Then get to the hotel. I have a talk to give tomorrow at 2pm. I haven't had any time to practice it yet. Guess I will have to wing it again.

I have another presentation on Tuesday, that one I will practice.

I am tired, a bit stress and I just want to go home. If all goes well I will be back on Wednesday. -Eric

P.S. I have pics from Halle, where my Great Grandpa was born and final Germany Pics. I will post all that stuff probably on Tuesday after my work is done.

No comments: